Seems you're right about using EDTF.

There is, however, a product, Programmer Tools or something - 5799-PTL - the includes the ez editor and can also run the emacs editor. There is an EDTSTMF command there that basically calls one or the other. I think it's really inexpensive. More information here from the help text of EDTSTMF -

The Edit Stream File (EDTSTMF) command starts an editing program that allows you to create, edit, and format many different types of source files or documents. EDTSTMF starts the EZ editor by default. You can also use this command to start the Emacs editor by changing the QIBM_PTL_EDITOR environment variable. EZ is an ASCII based editor, so you can only use it to edit ASCII files or you can use the convert (CVT) parameter which will convert a file to ASCII before starting the editor. This command requires that PASE option 33 of the Operating System is installed, that you have run the Start iSeries Tools (STRPTL) command to initialize your environment and that you are running an X-windowing application on your client device. For more details see http://www.iseries.ibm.com/developer/factory/tools
Some of the tools run in QShell, some require PASE.

HTH
Vern

Dr. Syd Nicholson wrote:
I don't think that is possible.

EDTF runs under i5/OS. When you use QSH or PASE you are running a "virtual"
AIX unix session. EDTF cannot run in that environment.

You can run any AIX program, providing it does not need a GUI screen. There
are likely to be editors on the internet you can download and install.

You do not need a separate partition to run unix based programs on the
system i. The system i even has X server/client options.

I would like to here comment from IBM, but I often wonder if i5/OS is built
on top of unix.

Syd