Oh, my heavens... APL. Haven't heard that in awhile. However, I can say the Ping people (Karsten Mfg.) did all their business apps in it back when I was working with them at IBM.

Boy, you talk about efficient code with regard to a lot being done in a few lines of code. But, reading from right to left and all those math characters... whow, mind blowing.

Dave

<vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> 8/9/2008 07:26 >>>
So where is APL!!!

Ducking!

From: Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
REXX is all over the place in the mainframe world, so there are actually a
whole bunch of REXX programmers out there. There is an ObjectREXX for Windows,
at least - not sure about Linux or Unix, although I bet REXX exists for AIX. For
some reason it also has not got much traction on the iSeries - I don't know if
it was available on the 38, but it might have been.

Never take a single source for granted, but if you go to the TIOBE site
(and they've been doing this for a long time) you can see that REXX
doesn't get much airplay at all.

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

COBOL is consistently in the top 20 (with around 0.35%), RPG is usually
in the top 25 (at about 0.25%) and REXX is somewhere down in the
40th-50th spot with less than a tenth of a percent.

The numbers overall are pretty interesting. PHP is the 5th language
overall, but with less than 10% share.

Joe