From: Alfredo Delgado
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:10:26 PM
Subject: [WEB400] Zend Platform Pricing

Has anyone on the list deployed Zend Platform?

I've been running PHP and MySQL in PASE since before Zend and MySQL released
official IBM i packages. I have sorely missed the benefits of the i5 toolkit
in Core. A while back I installed Zend Core and found that I had problems
writing files to the IFS -- some extra chars were getting written that left
the file unreadeable to Core. I sent a request up my chain of command for
Zend Platinum support. That request fell apart when I continued to lobby for
24/7 support after someone pointed out that gold support is cheaper.

After attending COMMON and seeing the possibilities for the 5250 Bridge I
came back and made a request for Zend Platform. My boss liked the idea and
I've been working on him by pointing out the extra steps I have to take
whenever I run into a task that the i5 toolkit can perform quicker. Looking
at the pricing on this page
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/php/products.html, however, I'm
left thinking there's no way we'll ever wring enough value from Platform to
justify it.

$4250 per processor per year?! and that doesn't include support?! I'd
appreciate some insight from anyone who has established a Zend Platform
license. Am I missing something in thinking I'm being asked for $13k a year
for some upgrades and the privilege of running on the platform?

I've gotten a quote for a value pack that includes Platform, Studio, MySQL
Enterprise, Zend Gold support and MySQL Silver support. With the impression
that the table at the link above leaves, this package seems very reasonable
by comparison. Even my boss could contemplate paying that sum every year.