Aaron Bartell wrote:
Once the array of objects is in a "Java medium" it can be easily
passed about from one layer to the next without having to be tied
to any particular framework, DB, etc.

Thanks for the reply. And please forgive my ignorance. Couldn't a reference to the result set be passed just as easily? I really don't know.

A similar approach in RPG would be to have a data structure
array that was filled with records and passed from one sub
proc to the next.

That's right. The RPG sample I posted, uses three (3) service programs. One implements the interface with the database (all the procedure names begin with the "csr" prefix. Another implements the interface with the HTTP server (all the procedure names begin with the "wtn" prefix. But the wtnRowWrt() procedure which automatically maps SQL result set to values sent to the browser offers an optional parameter for referencing a specific result set (in the event that a program instanciates multiple result sets).

Building a layer around this on the RPG end is *as* necessary
as it is in the Java environment simply because in RPG we don't
have the same complexities as other languages/platforms have
when communicating with the database.

I think you meant to say that it isn't as necessary in RPG. I personally reference result sets directly in RPG rather than mapping them to something else, but as far as what's done in other environments, I'll defer to the experts in those environments. But that's one of the things I like about RPG.

Nathan.