Guillermo Andrades, CPI Software wrote:
Joe Pluta wrote:

<<Me, I have a stateful connection to an RPG program that creates an SQL
cursor and then reads the first 20 records. The cursor stays open, and
the next request gets the next 20 records. Response time is as long as
it takes to build the index for the first request, then instantaneous
for subsequent requests.
This is the type of thing that happens all the time, and it's the reason
why business applications need stateful connections. The idea that all
things must be stateless is just another myth that needs to go away.>>

Yes! and this the way RPG developers understand the know-how of an
application.

Joe, how is implemented this stateful connection using EGL+RPG?
The end user can press "Next 20 rows" after 25 minutes the first petition.
the RPG program is all the time wanting with open files as in 5250 app?
the RPG job is an normal job? then you can have hundreds of "waiting"
jobs... yes in the same way 5250 app.

In EGL, the developers have added a STATEFUL parameter to the linkage type, which means that the same connection object is used for all calls from the session. What happens is that you simply don't set on *INLR, and so the program is in the PAG, just like it would be for an inteactive job.

There is a timeout value that you can set, just the same as you would set for a 5250 session. You can make that as long or as short as you want. So eventually, stale sessions will get killed off. How fast that is depends on your business requirements.

I this this the way to go in complex app (and for my near all apps are so
complex)

Exactly. The idea is that this class of application is for authenticated users, of which you typically have dozens or hundreds, not tens of thousands at a time. Anonymous applications can go through a stateless server, but when it comes time to do a complex, authenticated process, then you should have a stateful connection.

Joe