From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Joel Cochran
Sent: 15 April 2008 18:41
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] ASP.NET and the iSeries - New Thread

I am currently developing a small scale e-commerce site using ASP.NET
MVC (ASP.NET without Postback or Viewstate) that manages information
on "System i". So far so good, and the response time appears to be
good. I am working on a combination of caching strategies, static
application variables, and session variables to achieve my goals.

Right away let me say that I detest the traditional "Web Forms" model
- I find it bulky, uncooperative, and non-intuitive, especially for
someone used to developing PHP in Wordpad and VI. ASP.NET MVC
promises something completely different: complete HTML control,
embedded HTML forms, and a well designed MVC architecture. And I can
still use C# and all the .NET code I am used to using. I still have
code behind files, Master Pages, etc. In my mind, it is the best of
both worlds.

It is still a Preview technology, and may be for some time, but the
work they have done so far is outstanding. You can learn more about
it at http://www.asp.net/mvc/ (and I have a couple of minor posts
about it on my blog).

Back to the System i tie in - is everyone using the .NET Managed
Provider for their i data access?