On 7-Apr-08, at 1:00 PM, web400-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
They can no more declare it obsolete than they can RPG while it is still
in use.

Have to disagree with you Pete - they did discontinue it on both mainframes, AIX and Windows while it was still "in use".

I suspect (but don't know) that it was only continued on "i" because at the time there was no viable alternative scripting language. If/ when someone has a Net.data -> PHP converter I can't see it lasting long.

More to the point - why would you develop new stuff in a language that will inevitably fade away over time? Maintaining existing apps in Net.data is one thing - but I would no more develop new code in it than I would write new programs in RPG II or III!!

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com