From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Wayne McAlpine
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:40 PM
To: web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Keeping track of when a user prints a PDF?

Brad, do a Google search for "printer page counter" and you'll find a
number of products that may do what you want. Here's a link to
one of them:

http://tinyurl.com/35dzua

Bradley V. Stone wrote:
I have an odd situation here.

Working on a project for a place that allows users to log in
and view PDF
files (basically documents, maps, etc).

The application lets the user view the PDF, but the customer also is
possibly looking for a way to know when the user prints the PDF.

I know, probably impossible, but, just checking just in case there is
something I overlooked.

So basically it works like this:

1. Users displays a list of documents
2. user clicks on a link to view the PDF file for that document
3. When they click Print in the PDF viewer, somehow we know so we can
charge for it.

There are 100 ways around this, such as saving local copies, etc... but
looking for something that for most of the world (ie, non-tech
savvy) may
work.

Trust me, I've already ran the "pay per view" where they would
pay for each
document they view and right now that's not what they're looking for.

Bradley V. Stone
BVSTools - www.bvstools.com
eRPG SDK - www.erpgsdk.com