We had our production Web server crash during maintenance and had to
rebuild it from scratch. The IFS and all the CGI libraries restored
as desired, but the web server won't start, neither my regular
instance nor *ADMIN. It fails with the following message:

Cause . . . . . : In the properties file specified by the JkWorkersFile
directive, a worker was configured with the type "jni". This configuration
requires that the worker process URL requests in a Java Virtual Machine in
the HTTP server job. The attempt to initialize the Java Virtual Machine ha
failed. The HTTP server did not start. Recovery . . . : Look for other
messages in the job log that may provide more information. It is possible
that the classpath that is configured in the properties file is not correct
Configure the JkLogFile directive to specify a file where detailed tracing
information can be stored. Configure the JkLogLevel directive specifying a
value of "debug" to enable detailed tracing information. Start the HTTP
server again and examine the output. If you can not determine the cause of
the error, contact your service provider for assistance.

This is my worker.properties file contents:

worker.list=inprocess

worker.inprocess.type=jni
worker.inprocess.cmd_line=-config
worker.inprocess.cmd_line=/www/vamaweb/conf/server.xml
worker.inprocess.sysprops=java.version=1.3
worker.inprocess.sysprops=tomcat.home=/www/vamaweb
worker.inprocess.sysprops=os400.dir.create.auth=X
worker.inprocess.sysprops=os400.file.create.auth=*NONE
worker.inprocess.stdout=/www/vamaweb/logs/jvmstdout.txt
worker.inprocess.stderr=/www/vamaweb/logs/jvmstderr.txt
worker.inprocess.class_path=/QIBM/ProdData/HTTPA/java/lib/webserver.jar
worker.inprocess.class_path=/QIBM/ProdData/HTTPA/java/lib/servlet.jar
worker.inprocess.class_path=/QIBM/ProdData/HTTPA/java/lib/parser.jar
worker.inprocess.class_path=/QIBM/ProdData/HTTPA/java/lib/jaxp.jar
worker.inprocess.class_path=/QIBM/ProdData/HTTPA/java/lib/jasper.jar
worker.inprocess.class_path=/QIBM/ProdData/java400/jdk13/lib/tools.jar

These entries have not changed since 2002, which was the last time I
had to work on this configuration.

And the jk.log file has these entries leading up to the failure:

[jk_jni_worker.c (1644)]: Into open_jvm2
[jk_jni_worker.c (1672)]: In open_jvm2, setting classpath to /QIBM/ProdData/HTTP
[jk_jni_worker.c (1692)]: In open_jvm2, setting start heap to 33554432
[jk_jni_worker.c (1704)]: In open_jvm2, setting java.version=1.3
[jk_jni_worker.c (1704)]: In open_jvm2, setting tomcat.home=/www/vamaweb
[jk_jni_worker.c (1704)]: In open_jvm2, setting os400.dir.create.auth=X
[jk_jni_worker.c (1704)]: In open_jvm2, setting os400.file.create.auth=*NONE
[jk_jni_worker.c (1735)]: In open_jvm2, the JVM will ignore unknown options
[jk_jni_worker.c (1742)]: In open_jvm2, about to create JVM...
[jk_jni_worker.c (1804)]: In open_jvm2, JVM created, done
[jk_jni_worker.c (1821)]: Into get_bridge_object
[jk_jni_worker.c (1835)]: Can't find class org/apache/tomcat/service/JNIEndpoint
[jk_jni_worker.c (963)]: Fail-> can't get bridge object
[jk_jni_worker.c (2078)]: In detach_from_jvm, detached ok
[jk_jni_worker.c (1185)]: Into destroy
[jk_jni_worker.c (1201)]: In destroy, Tomcat not instantiated

The only thing I can think of is that the CLASSPATH was not reset when
the system was restored. That would seem to be validated by the
"Can't find class..." message above, but I have to admit I am at a
loss: I have not messed with CLASSPATH issues in years. I looked at
WRKENVVAR but there is no CLASSPATH variable. Do I need to create
one? What should I include? Am I even looking in the right place?

Thanks,