Thanks for posting Bob. Based on your last comment:

<Bob>IBM's position is clear, we offer two very distinct paths to modern Web
development: Java and EGL. The System i is computer platform that supports
many other alternatives and those choices are also available to our
customers. We hope customers choose the IBM path...</Bob>

It appears as though there is awkward alignment between the software and
hardware divisions, because Java/EGL carry a mantra of platform
independence. What does System i hardware offer the shop that is looking to
move on from RPG and lessen costs overall (i.e. moving to potentially more
effiecient development with EGL and moving their application stack to a high
powered, less expensive, Wintel/Linux server).

Being that the applications are running in an OS agnostic app server
(WAS/Tomcat/Geronimo/etc), and being that those app servers don't necessary
have any intimate connections to the OS/DB that would make it intriguing -
why would you envision people staying on System i5 hardware?

Maybe a better question to ask would be, how is the IBM software division
helping to sell *new* System i5 hardware to *new* customers? One thing I
could see as a benefit is the ability to have many LPARs that are scaleable
past what an Enterprise Wintel machine can support.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com