<<The majority of our customers need more than the 5250. They must have
(not an option) robust Web applications>>

The very important pieces in the client part of the web apps are
html+css+js.
then why RPG is not able to develop robust web applications?
We need "only" mechanisms to read/write variables in similar way to
DDS/SDA/5250, sure the lack of stateful persistence can be also resolved,
and so with other minor differences between 5250 and web modes, but at least
you are using the very standard knowledge in the client side and the
language you trust in the server side.
Also when starting to learn html,css,js you've really a lot of info
available, you can start ease and later incorporate more js stuff as ajax,
using js libraries, components and so on, but using the world standards with
the power of your RPG.

Why wait years, learn hard stuff during months only for frustrating
developing simple query-like mini applications when you can use all the RPG
experiences (even existing code parts, program calls, CL, dtaara and so on)?

Sure the way of html+RPG could be hard to some peoples, but not so hard as
all the myriad of language and tools existing.

and, smile, thinking in IBM and IBM BP & ISV community be sure of one thing:
if the users have graphical/web apps running in RPG these applications would
not so simply convert to an non System i environment, thus protecting really
the environment.
or are you sure all the people thinking in develop in php, java, python, R&R
are tending to use the System i as the main Server?

Regards,
Guillermo Andrades
http://RpgForWeb.com