Right now I suggest the Zend/IBM version if the intent is to write apps
that
will use DB2 to access the System i. Also of course it is the same
version
you'll use on the System i which hopefully will avoid possible
behavioral
differences.

If you want to get experience with MySQL the XAMPP version is still a
good
way to go and it does install a completely separate Apache instance. The
Zend/IBM Apache seems to be embedded in the PHP somehow - or at least is
not
surfaced in the same way as a regular Apache install is. I haven't had
time
to work out exactly where/how it works.

I had downloaded the XAMPP version some time ago because I wanted to learn
PHP and MySQL. I got it up and running but between work, school, and
family I didn't have time to do a lot with it. After the end of June
school will be over and I had planned to get back into it. I was mostly
curious if the Zend/IBM version was "better". Since I'm not approaching
this with the intent of System/I access I'll just stick with XAMPP. Thanks
for the clarification.

Dave Parnin