I don't use HTML in my code unless you count using a
toolkit like eRPG SDK or CGIDEV2.

Because most of my applications before used server side
includes where I would say something like:

<!--#include
virtual="/cgi-bin/loadorders?cust=/%customer%/" -->

I use a LOT of SSI.  "Modular" web programming, almost
piecing each page together with a set of many different
pieces that all fit, each piece being SSI, whether static
or dynamic.

This include was part of my template.  I replaced the
customer variable during runtime.  loadorders CGI program
was called and used another template to format the list of
orders for a sepcific customer.

what I like about this is I'm still using toolkit for
everything, externalizing HTML in templates.  And, when it
executed, I saw the data in the web page.  If I need to
update a page, normally it's just updating one very small
CGI program that returns something like an order list, a
customer name, an order total, etc.  Or if a customer
wanted me to add something like an order total, order list,
etc to another page, it was as simple as adding an SSI
statement to the page they wanted.

This very easily was changed over to use AJAX.  Basically
replacing the SSI statement with a <div container>.  Then,
I could call exactly the same program to build the order
list table without any modification and then return that
via AJAX to the container, displaying the data seamlessly.
 Even throwing in a simple "please wait... loading data..."
screen while it ran.  Very simple.

What I didn't like about this was if I viewed the source, I
couldn't see the HTML returned to the container.  That's
where the debugging issues I had came into play.

Yes, I can call the loadorders CGI program standalone to
see, but sometimes I'm too ansty and want to see things
now.  :)

Make more sense where I'm coming from?  Think of a basic
web page that I create looks something like this (which is
my bvstools.com homepage).

width="80%">
      <!--#include virtual="/ifshtml/header.html" -->
width="100%">
virtual="/ifshtml/left.html"--></td>
virtual="/ifshtml/index.html"--></td>
virtual="/ifshtml/whatsnew.html"--></td>

<!--#include virtual="/ifshtml/footer.html"-->

Now, each one of these include directives may output more
HTML that has MORE SSI statements in them.  For example,
left.html which is the left side bar has an SSI statement
in it that displays a random testimonial.

whatsnew.html, the right hand column, also has another SSI
that displays top 5 downloads which is dynamically built at
runtime.

If I want to redesign my page, it's really just moving
things around in tables since each smaller piece of web
page is separate.

Brad

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:01:40 -0400