Sharron Hoffman at  iSeries Network introduced Ruby on Rails to the iSeries
community a number of  months ago in the magazine's Industry Observer column,
which was questioning the  future of Java.

 A number of things  seem to be driving the growing popularity and success of
Rails.  One is a   philosophical perspective.  There's the slogan "Convention
over Configuration",  which refers to the idea that using simple naming
conventions can reduce or  eliminate numerous XML configuration files
associated with J2EE,  .Net, and related database frameworks.  The idea could
also be extended to  prefer conventional in-line code over architectures that
rely heavily on  configuration files which must be defined and included in
application  distributions.

 The heart of  Rails seems to be it's high level interfaces for quickly
developing, testing,  and deploying simple CRUD applications.   David
Heinemeier Hansson, the author of Rails  and a partner at 37signals, also wrote
several  applications using the framework which have received a number of
outstanding  accolades from end users and reviewing publications.

 While I personally  have a preference for ILE based languages and frameworks,
the philosophy and  architecture of Rails are interesting to me.

 David Heinemeier  Hansson explained a few philosophical perspectives behind
the applications at  37signals, which deal with project organization,
collaboration, communication,  and teamwork.  While traditional project
management applications focus on  allocating, scheduling, and controlling
project resources (people, normally),  the applications at 37signals focus on
organization and collaboration.  Controls  in traditional project management
applications may have an enforcement and punitive bent, but  37signals
applications focus simply on communication and collaboration, which is
refreshing.

 Nathan M.  Andelin