It seems I have found the answer to my own question...

Initially, in the 'definition' for jt400.jar, I had selected the jt400.jar
in a subsubsubdirectory of the WDSC installation directory. Now, when I
was comparing the Properties of my current project with the Properties of
a Webfacing project, I noticed that it contained a copy of jt400.jar in a
subdirectory of the WebContent directory. Having noticed this, I copied
jt400.jar to the same subdirectory of my current project, and I changed
the 'definition' for jt400.jar in 'JARs and class folders on the build
path'. I then tried to run Messages.jsp on the server, and this time the
page GetMessages.jsp was displayed correctly, with the text 'Connection
established'.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ewout

Hi there,

I am doing some experiments with creating JSP pages using the IBM Toolbox
for Java. I am using WDSCi as my development tool.

I have created two JSP pages. On the first page Messages.jsp, the user
should enter the name of a user profile. The input is submitted to another
page GetMessages. On the latter page, I have included the following page
directive and scriptlet:

<%@ page
language="java"
contentType="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"
pageEncoding="ISO-8859-1"
import="com.ibm.as400.access.*"
%>
<%
AS400 server;
server = new AS400();
if (server != null)
        out.println("Connection established");
else
        out.println("No connection");
%>

In the margin of the editor in the Web perspective, no errors are
signalled. Now, when I run the page Messages.jsp on the test server, enter
the name of a user profile and then press the button to submit the page,
the following messages are shown when page GetMessages.jsp is displayed:

Error 500: Unable to compile class for JSP
U:\wdsc\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\com.ibm.etools.server.core\tmp1\cache\localhost\server1\LogdevWebEAR\TestJSP.war\_GetMessages.java:3:

package com.ibm.as400.access does not exist import com.ibm.as400.access.*;
^ An error occurred between lines: 13 and 20 in the jsp file:
/GetMessages.jsp Generated servlet error:
U:\wdsc\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\com.ibm.etools.server.core\tmp1\cache\localhost\server1\LogdevWebEAR\TestJSP.war\_GetMessages.java:75:

cannot resolve symbol symbol : class AS400 location: class
org.apache.jsp._GetMessages AS400 server; ^ An error occurred between
lines: 13 and 20 in the jsp file: /GetMessages.jsp Generated servlet
error:
U:\wdsc\workspace\.metadata\.plugins\com.ibm.etools.server.core\tmp1\cache\localhost\server1\LogdevWebEAR\TestJSP.war\_GetMessages.java:76:

cannot resolve symbol symbol : class AS400 location: class
org.apache.jsp._GetMessages server = new AS400(); ^ 3 errors

In the project properties (in the Project Navigator), I have added
jt400.jar to the 'JARs and class folders on the build path'.

I don't know what is going wrong. Can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks in advance.

Ewout