Brad,

You have just flushed out a key reason why it is a better idea, over
the long haul, to go with JSP and move away from anything that ties you
to RPG, CL, etc; you can't find enough human resources. Why?  Because NO
ONE except the AS/400/i5/whatever its called today, uses those very
legacy and antiquated languages.   The new paradigm is to move away from
those and into more modern and contemporary languages and languages for
which there are lots of resources.  Even IBM will tell you so but not in
these words as they are not politically correct [read tell you what you
want to hear]).  But, sounds like you are moving in the right direction
as far as a solid, modern, contemporary enterprise architecture with
Java.

Also, seriously consider using SQL (perhaps other types of) Stored
Procedures and Triggers and have your Java call the stored procedures.
Let DB2 do the work for you.  Its generally more efficient and effective
at data access.  DB2 can save you lots of time accessing data via SQL
and not via READs, WRITES, CHAINs, etc.   That's one of the benefits of
have an RDBMS.   Programming this way where the DBA does your data
access for you may be difficult to get used to in the beginning.  It was
for LOTS of mainframe programmers in the '80s and '90s when the normal
DB2s came out on VM, VSE, and MVS.   But, today, most mainframe shops
using DB2 or ORACLE, and MANY midrange shops where the midrange is some
UNIX flavor with DB2 or ORACLE, only build application against an RDBMS
and only use SQL to access.

As you probably know, you have other more modern languages available as
well on the i5, weather you build the code for use with stored
procedures or triggers or for normal application code.  And these other
languages have plenty of resources available in the market place.

Take care,

Dave Odom

>>> brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx 5/15/2006 12:18:54 >>>
On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:27:42 -0400
 "Mike Eovino" <meovino@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am having a devil of a time finding RPG developers, and
> all I want
> them to do is write batch RPG programs that we can call
> from Java.

Full time?  Or contract.  Sometimes the latter is easier
and quicker, especially for what sounds like quite a simple
project.

> I don't need anything as specialized as RPG-CGI.

I wouldn't call RPG-CGI any more specialized than normal
RPG programs.  Just a different UI.  Reports, Subfiles,
Web, programming will be very similar with different
operations to get the data out to the specific UI.

Brad
www.bvstools.com