othe way is

1.- purchase two (or more) public IP address,

2.- in the intranet firewall configure NAT protocol
for redirecting each public IP to the same internal IP (the iSeries IP)
but to different ports

i.e.
121.121.121.121 goes to 192.168.1.1 port 1492
121.121.121.122 goes to 192.168.1.1 port 1493

this way you've separated apache config files, one for each port, and the
best is you can off one instance but the other is running, using virtual
servers (several servers in the same port) this can be a problem.

anyway virtual servers works fine, We've using even mix of the two cases in
the same iSeries (port 80 serving four applications with different folders
and two different ports attached to two public IP) all the client using port
80 because some clients can't run other port than 80 in the browsers.

--
Saludos/Regards,
Guillermo Andrades