>What do subdomains give you that a simple subdirectory wouldn't?  (Other
than maybe a shorter URL...)
Well, cough, in the M$ world I would use it to route traffic to a different
servers (one app one server approach). I should have prefaced my comments
with the fact that I do a fair amount of my J2EE development for the Wintel
platform. It is amazing the fear there is with putting more than one big app
on a server :-)

Anything that is customer facing I would never have them see ports in the
URL (if I could help it).  Reason is I can almost guarantee if you have your
app at http://myserver.com:8080/MyApp they will many times go to
http://myserver.com/MyApp.  Sure book marking fixes this problem, but so
does putting it at a completely different "pretty" url of
http://myapp.myserver.com. Six of one, half dozen of the other I guess.
Maybe for internal uses it is more ok in some cases.

>Using subdomains (and by that, I assume you're using VirtualHosts) won't
help you in that case, will it?
That's one of the beauties of sub domains (DNS experts correct me if I am
wrong). They are abstracted up to your DNS server instead of a single
machine. So you can have http://sub1.domain.com point to a different machine
than http://sub2.domain.com. This isn't as much of a need for iSeries folks
because we don't have "server farms" necessarily or the "One App One Server"
approach to hosting.

>You'll be sharing the same configuration as the main web server, and
therefore run the risk of breaking it when you monkey with the options.

The site that my http://mowyourlawn.com website is on hosts about 30+ small
fairly static domains and each domain has it's own "child" Apache
virtualhost configuration file that is governed from a main "parent" Apache
configuration file.  I was unable to find the "parent" config file so I am
not sure what that looks like, but below is what the "child" config file
looks like. I did not set up this Apache server, so I am not exactly sure
how it works, I just know it does and they all operate off of the same IP
address but completely separate "child" config files.

I don't know if I answered your question or not, but hopefully you know more
of where I am coming from.
Aaron Bartell

file: mowyourlawn.com
<Directory /xyz/xyz/mowyourlawn.com/www/cgi-bin>
</Directory>

<Directory /xyz/xyz/mowyourlawn.com/www>
</Directory>

<VirtualHost 111.222.333.444>
        ServerName www.mowyourlawn.com
        ServerAlias mowyourlawn.com
        DocumentRoot /xyz/xyz/mowyourlawn.com/www/
</VirtualHost>