You can run RPG CGI and PHP under the same apache instance / configuration.

We tried installing PHP some time ago but were not successful until i5php.net
came out with the PHP binaries.  We didn't have the in-house expertise to do
accomplish a successful compile.  As far as porting PHP to the i5, I wonder how
difficult it would be to do this given the vast numbers of includes that are
available for php.  One i5php.net binary includes these program:

gcc-4.0.1 for OS/400
texinfo-4.8
m4-1.4.3
autoconf-2.59
automake-1.9.6
zlib-1.2.3
patch-2.5.4
gzip-1.2.4
bzip2-1.0.3
bison-2.0
gettext-0.13
ncurses-5.4
curl-7.14.0
mysql-4.1.14
unzip-5.52
zip-2.31
php-4.4.0
libxml2-2.6.20
php-5.0.4

Even with these program, there are other includes that I would like to see
included (like the LDAP extension) - is that be possible or practicle?  Are we
in effect asking for a native version of UNIX rather than just PHP?  I look
forward to reading everyone's opinion.