From: web400-bounces+thatzenbeler=clinitech.net@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:web400-bounces+thatzenbeler=clinitech.net@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Pete Helgren
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:19 AM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Java Error was Tomcat java properties question

Let me scroll back a bit.

There are some Java programs that require the use of a graphics engine in
order to render the graphic components.  For example, we use Jasper Reports
to generate PDF reports and iChart to generate charts on the iSeries using
Java (mostly java servlets).

The first time we used Jasper, we got the error message about the need to
have java.awt.headless=true in the properties file.  Installing PASE and
then setting these values in the
'/QIBM/UserData/Java400/SystemDefault.properties' file is what took care of
the error for us.  As I mentioned both in the post from last year and the
latest post, I am not sure what it took to make the system finally read the
file.  I suspect that it was because we had an instance of Java running
somewhere (either a Tomcat app or some other Java app). Once we ended the
java app the next instantiation must have used the new settings because the
error went away.

When we install the applications at our customers site, we make sure that
PASE is installed and the properties file configured before we fire up a
Java app and I haven't had the experience of it NOT working since our own
first experience.

We start nothing in PASE.  We submit no jobs or use any shell.  The ONLY
shell command we use is to start Tomcat.  So, no, I don't think it is
necessary to call any programs or run any shell commands in order for your
java program to render graphics using AWT "headless".  Again, we make sure
PASE is installed and we make sure the SystemDefault.properties file is set,
and it has worked for us.
The entire file contents are as follows:

java.home=/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/jdk14/
java.version=1.4
os400.awt.native=true
java.awt.headless=true
user.timezone=America/Denver

Of course this would mean that you have the jdk 1.4 version installed on
your iSEries (licensed program 5722JV1 6  Java Developer Kit 1.4).

If all of that is true for you, then I am as stumped as you.  You could
check it after your next IPL or you could try calling IBM and see if they
have suggestions.

Pete

P.S.  If you actually *wanted* VNC running, you'd need to have 5722PTL
installed and use the directions found at this link:

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/enable/site/porting/tools/vnc.html but again,
there is no need to have it running in order to run Java programs using AWT
in headless mode.

Hatzenbeler, Tim wrote:

>To make this work do I need to run this first?
>
>CALL PGM(QSYS/QP2SHELL)
>PARM('/QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/DeveloperTools/vnc/vncserver_java' ':1')
>

>I'm not running NAWT...  Should this be running when I set the headless
>value to true?
>
>Thanks, Tim

QJVAJNI

>>>of