On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:43:24 -0700
 Tom Jedrzejewicz <tomjedrz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I got the same email, and don't see the problem.  While
> it can
> certainly be said that CGI support <> CGIDEV2, it is a
> marketing email
> from a vendor who has skin in the game, and who has been
> sending out
> emails pushing their servlet product for several years.
>  I suggest
> that it was carelessly worded rather than intentionally
> deceptive.

Please....  marketing is built on deception.  Not
carelessness.

> There has been a great deal of well-reasoned concern on
> this list that
> ending CGIDEV2 support will leave the users in a lurch.
>  I have no
> problem with these folks suggesting their product as an
> alternative.

Neither do I.  I guess since I wouldn't intentionally
deceive customers, I found it offensive and deceptive.
 Just shedding light and pulling back wool.

> Brad, I have to say that I am a pretty smart and informed
> guy, and to
> those of you not up to our eyeballs in this stuff the
> distinction is
> pretty subtle.  Until I found CGIDEV2 I had no idea what
> the CGI is or
> that the iSeries web server supported it.  IMHO this is
> picking nits,
> and really isn't germane to the main thrust of their
> argument anyway.

I deal with hundres of these types of customers a week.  It
is NOT discernable to most.  If you don't know that, you
don't deal with those who this was intended to sell to.

It's not picking nits, it's informing those who may be
confused of the deception.  I did originally get the email
from someone asking if CGI all together was really not
supported any more....  As I stated in the beginning of my
original email.

> > Then they use Giovanni's plea to the community as a
> > "negative" calling it "kicking and screaming."
>
> It was essentially "negative" in nature .. we were asked
> to express
> our concern and disappointment.  And, (as an aside) it
> appears to be
> working.

What appears to be working?  IBM most likely won't budge
from their stance on it.. but I hope they do.

> > This is
> > sad.  Giovanni and Mel did the platform a great service
> > with CGIDEV2, and now an ISV using this in a twisted
> manner
> > to sell services.
>
> I may be wrong, but didn't you sell something related to
> CGIDEV2 yourself?

I still do.  But what does that have anything to do with
this?  I don't recall mentioning it in the OP either.  I
easily could have (happens a lot from others).

> > If you have to confuse and/or lie to sell products and
> > services...  well...  I'll just leave the moral dilema
> up
> > to each of you.
>
> Me thinks thou dost protest too much ...

Good.  If the email didn't confuse you, then my post wasn't
for you.  For every 1 of us that it didn't confuse, there
are 100 lurkers who it did and hopefully my post helped.

Brad