Apples and oranges.

I can backup my iSeries while it's running.  I can run PASE
applications.  I can do development in RPG, COBOL, Java, C, C++, all
while the system is up and running.  I have query support, including all
the tools.

Who do you call if there's a bug in JSF?  In your database?  In
MyEclipse?  What is the turnaround time?

What happens when JSF's creator dumps it, just like he dumped Struts?  I
predicted long ago that Struts was dead, and I was right.  That's the
biggest problem with Open Source: it's often just about the latest cool
fad.

Yeah, if you're willing to run your enterprise under those conditions,
then go for it.  It's a business decision.

Joe

> From: albartell
>
> Interesting numbers!
>
> Let me share the other side of the coin to play devils advocate :-)
>
> One of my JSF apps I just released is running on a Dell rackmount Dual
> 2Ghz,
> 2GB RAM, 15K RPM HD, Dual Power supply, with Dell guaranteed 4 hours
> turnaround support for about $5000.  So if I can get a Dell for 1/2
the
> price of the lowest iSeries and "get the same support", and use a
> development environment like MyEclipseIDE ($30/yr), why would someone
go
> with an iSeries? (Playing devils advocate)
>
> It seems that if an IT shop knows how to play their open source cards,
and
> aren't afraid of "not having support because it is open source", they
can
> successfully run an enterprise with "open source" technologies.
>
> The funny thing is that IBM keeps pushing technologies (Java, Apache,
etc)
> that allow people to run their apps on anything including iSeries.
Many of