Thanks for the advice but this is only a test system.

I have taken everyone's advice on board and come up with a solution for
future reference in case anyone wants to know this is what i did

iDB2Connection connDB2=new iDB2Connection(
                                        "DataSource=TDC01;" +

"userid=RDS;password=sootarsing;DefaultCollection=QGPL;");
                                DataSet ds = new DataSet();
                                iDB2DataAdapter adpt = new
iDB2DataAdapter();

                /                       string
szSQLstmt = "Select * from ctx4nthg where REF ='" +@filter+"'";
                                adpt.SelectCommand = new
iDB2Command(szSQLstmt,connDB2);
                                adpt.Fill(ds);
                                return ds;

This message has been checked for viruses by Corpex
using the ArmourPlate Virus Scanning Service. To find out
how to protect your company visit http://www.armourplate.com
or call Corpex on +44 (0)207 430 8000.