You start off with something people can get their "arms around" (i.e.,
understand the product without thinking about it too much) and then you add
in more features. Suddenly you have a cell phone that does what a Palm Pilot
does, takes digital pictures, video records your life and play your music
all in one unit--and it sells!

Wow.. that is a really succinct way of putting it. That's exactly where IBM is going wrong! They don't provide tools that their target audience can jump in and get their arms around.

Instead, they engineer something -- often something wonderful -- that's so difficult to get up and running with that people don't even bother trying to make the transition.

Make it easy for the average iSeries programmer to get started with and it'll go far. Make it difficult or ugly, and it'll be a long uphill battle trying to get them to convert to it.