I had the same thing happen today on the original server running on an
820 under V5R2. The web server just shutdown. I was also under a heavy
workload. This is not the first time this has happened. We do not get a
heavy load very often but when we do the server shutting down has not
been uncommon. We have been trying to get moved to the Apache server but
an app we purchased will not run under Apache without an upgrade. We
just stopped using this app and can now migrate and after today that
might become a top priority. I am not an expert on web servers but each
time this has happened and we talk to IBM we end up thinking it was a
problem with the number of threads available to the server. Too few or
too many and the server crashes. That has been my experience

>>> franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx 01/05/05 8:01 PM >>>
Bob - what are you serving?  static html or dynamic? lot's of
pictures?
How much memory in the 170? what's the cpw?  any heavy sql or rpg
processing?
I've got a customer with a S10 512 meg 73 cpw serving rpg cgi
that sometimes hits this volume. Only have a performance problem when
some sql queries have to roll thru all records in a big file (where x
like
%yy%)
but never crashes.
Are you saying crash as in restart the server? Did you get any job logs
of
some other problem or just timeouts?
jim