>In the above scenario where do you store the configs to know which URL
>should be used?

These are all web apps were talking about. And remember, .config files are
hierarchal in .NET and evaluated at run time. So, if I have http://svr/ar and
http://svr/oe as two virtual directories in the root. Then I can have the
global services defined in the root's web.config once for both apps and then
just override them as needed in the sub web.configs.

>I guess my point comes down to there should be a central entity
>providing that information, similar to JNDI, so each application base
>doesn't have to support it.  The bad part is that there doesn't seem to
>be a language independent solution for this (that I have seen).

I'm not familiar (in detail) with JNDI, but as I see it, the problem would not
be solved with a central entity becase how would the central entity know which
url (prod, test, dev) to pass back. If the application asked for the test vs.
production version then the app would have to be aware of how it's being used.
Ideally the problem would be solved with something like a library list, just
use the web service you find in the list. Let the admins worry about how to
structure that. The closest I've come is the web.config file, but as I said
it's not perfect.

>Just curious, do you have Java developers also?
Yup.

-Walden