OK, I see where you're coming from. Personally, I've found UDDI to be
more trouble than it's worth and tend to ignore the location specified
in the WSDL. The problem I have with UDDI is it's granularity -- or lack
thereof.

Ideally you'd have one UDDI registry with all the web services in it
(external or internal UDDI, I don't care). But the problem with that is
I may want to call the web service on the development machine when I'm
in development and the production machine when I'm in production. So...

I could have two UDDI registries, one for development and one for
production. I would then have one .config entry that contained the name
of the UDDI server the application should talk to. In development I
would talk to the development UDDI server, in production I would talk to
the production UDDI server. The Development UDDI server would return
references to the development web services, the production UDDI server
would return referenced to the production web services. However, I now
have to maintain 2 UDDI servers, yuck. Plus, what if I have a test
environment too, or what about a training environment, now I have 4 UDDI
servers? Oy! And then what if I want to call some development web
services and some production web services from the same environment? How
do I manage that?

So we've just ignored UDDI. .NET is nice enough to give us an easy way
to specify the location of web services at run time via the URL Behavior
property and .config entries. So I can specify which web services use
which servers. Sure, at deployment it means that I have to change
several .config entries to use production URLs instead of development
URLs, but at least I can do this one web service at a time if I
want/need to. And actually, I could play some games with DNS and avoid
changing the .config most of the time.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President & CEO