You might want to do some performance testing before changing your CGI programs to seton LR. Personally, I wouldn't make that change. I would continue to try to find out why some CGI jobs don't end in a timely manner. Since the problem did not occur with the classic server over a long period of time, I, as you do, would suspect the powered by Apache server implementation.

Also, you mentioned that all PTFs are up to date. However, there is a PTF for problem with persistent CGI jobs not ending properly (may or may not be your problem and you may or may not have it applied and you may or may not be using persistent CGI). Here is the description from PTF SI10682 for V5R2 5722-DG1 (superseded by SE16064):

HTTPSVR Apache Persistent CGI Jobs Not Ending Correctly

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM FIXED FOR APAR SE12286 :
  When multiple persistent CGI programs are running, and a new
  persistent CGI program is called with a time out value that is
  shorter than all of the others, the call to the CGI appears to
  be hung.  An MCH3601 error is written to the job log, and a
  response is never returned back to the browser.

CORRECTION FOR APAR SE12286 :
-----------------------------
  A change was made to the code to handle the timer situation.

CIRCUMVENTION FOR APAR SE12286 :
--------------------------------
  If any CGI program is using the HTTimeout header value to set
  the time out value of the program, make sure it is longer than
  the default persistent CGI time out value being used by the HTTP
  server.  See the documentation for the PersistentCGITimeout
  directive for more information.

Mel Rothman, CGIDEV2 Author Mel Rothman, Inc.

michael.bailey@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me Bob, I've been working with the AS/400 since it was first released and my first rule of support has always been to gather as much information as possible before cancelling a crashed app. as you may not get a chance until it happens again. Have I ever bothered to check exactly which procedure and line number that the CGI app. is sitting on - NO! Could be because I'm just not myself at 4am!

You're right though, the CGI program doesn't set on LR. However, in 2 years it's never been a problem so perhaps Apache has unearthed something that the old server tolerated (I found a few of those when I was testing). As a catch-all I probably need to do both of your suggestions in case the job is just stuck but not receiving any page requests. I'll give it a go when I get back from vacation next week.

Cheers
Michael

"Bob Cozzi" <cozzi@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
01/07/2004 14:53
Please respond to Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
To: "'Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries'" <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc: Subject: RE: [WEB400] An instance of QZSRCGI won't end after ENDTCPSVR

Michael,
Two things to try.
1) Are you setting on LR in those CGI apps or not? If not, then they might
be sitting waiting for something that will never get there, and eventually
they time out. You might want to try the SHTDN opcode; testing for an endjob
request. If that happens, set on the LR indicate to cause the program to end
when RETURN is issued. Of course that would only happen if someone hits the
page and the CGI program is called.
2) The other thing is to write a little tool that lists all the jobs for the
server. Then go through each one in a CL program and issue an ENDJOB
LOGLVL(0) and perhaps add the OPTION(*IMMED) if that's okay with you. To get
the list of jobs use the CrtJobList() API in the RPG xTools or call the
QUSLJOBI API and iterate through the list.
-Bob