From: CZE Midrange [mailto:CZEMidrange@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2004 12:55 PM
To: web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WEB400] Web-Facing and 5250 removal

I am looking for some feedback on folks who have chosen to Web-enable their
green screen environments...a feature that IBM has conveniently created
huge purchase bargains for and a feature that promises some very
interesting options for the 400 environment. The following are some
specifics I would love to get some discussion going on:

I have heard that the web-facing procedures effectively run as "batch jobs"
in the operating system and that IBM sells you only the "governed" CPW
machines, effectively shutting down most/all of the interactive feature? Is
this true? What specific effects does this have on typical interactive
programs that handle data entry or inquiry?

What about heavy transactional apps like Warehouse Management...through an
RF device?

If I ran an old fashioned 5250 program and did not send it through the
"converter", would the job crawl slower than a turtle on valium? What about
performance in general? Are HTML pages through web browser portals less
stable than the good old dumb terminal or is there no real difference?

What about a simple thing like your sign-on to qinter in the morning? Are
you visible running out of qinter? Are any jobs running out of qinter if
they are web-faced?

What about printkeys?

How do the "green screens" look appearance wise if you are only converting
them, not modifying them?

Anything you can think of would be very helpful to us in making this tough
decision to convert to a web-sphere operation.

Thanks much.

 Rick Rayburn
NYC