Rob wrote:

>I had tried getElementsByName but without really understanding what it did.
>
>I have now tried
>
>var e
>e = document.getElementsByName('AFIELD.007-016')[0];
>alert(e)
>
>The alert box displays
>
>    [object]
>
>rather than the name.
>
>Am I doing something wrong?
>
>Many thanks
>

>Rob Dixon

Your use of getElementsByName is absolutely correct. As Joe stated in his
reply, it returns the object.

I don't, of course, know which tools you have been using but the terms
'Object Browser' and 'Man Pages' comes to mind... Here's some Man Pages:

 The 'document' object...
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/org/w3c/dom/Document.html

On this page you should find the getElementsByName or some variation of it.
'document.getElementsByName' returns an object.

 This object is of a type 'element'...
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/javax/swing/text/Element.html

Take a look at the element object Man Page. Something like .getName is what
I think you are looking for, so alert(e.getName) may be your answer.

Ken Slaugh (707) 795-1512 x118
Chouinard & Myhre, Inc.
http://www.cm-inc.com/