On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:26:24 -0700
 "Eyers, Daniel" <daniel.eyers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> First all, welcome back, Brad... I missed you...

Thanks!  It's nice to feel missed.  Looks like I have a few
areas here to reply to.. so..here goes!

> Secondly, my whole point was what works for your business
> is goodness.  Do what works and don't worry about us
> "talking
> heads."  Aaron was putting way too much emphasis on Joe's
> opinion.  Just like others put way too much weight on
> yours.
> Or mine.  We are all willing to help but we all have our
> ideas.

The thing is, people may like our opinions, but it's how we
give them I think makes the biggest impact.  I never say "I
would never use this or that" as you did with RPG, because
those types of statements, well, have no merit.

> Third, I know a troll when I see one.  I will not rehash
> this with "the cult of Brad."  You don't know java and I
> won't
> use RPG-CGI.  "It appears we are at an empasse."  (bonus
> points to anyone who knows where the quotes from)

I'm not trolling.  I'm just trying to get your reasons
because either you never gave them before, or I missed them
on my "hiatus".

Lets see... the quote.  I want to say LOTR..  but that
doesn't feel right.

> Technology aside, two major points spring to mind:  1)
> IBM favors java over RPG-CGI. IBM gives me all kind of
> stuff to
> learn and use java.  Until I joined this list, I never
> heard of RPG-CGI. 2) Type 'RPG-CGI' into the monster.com
> search
> engine.  Do the same with java. 'nuff said.

Ok, here's what I think of those reasons:

1)  Who cares what IBM thinks.  They give us the MAchine
and the OS.  They want you to use Java because it makes
them Money.

2)  BFD.  :)  Any hyped technology will show up more in
search engines.  Not to mention the ratio of AS/400s to PC
servers is about 1000000:1.  And most importantly, those
job search engines have evolved into a place for spammers
to collect names and addresses (oh it's true, at least 50%
are scams).  So of course they'll use "Java" in their job
"description".

Try using "RPG" instead of RPG-CGI as well.  Either that or
use Java-CGI.  <snicker>

> Fourth, *do not call me Daniel.* My e-mail may be
> daniel.eyers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx but I have signed every single
> post with
> 'dan'.  Geez, mon.

Sorry Dan!  You're email name says Daniel...  That's pretty
easy to change... I'd do that right away!  :)

> So did you take the summer off or what???

No, been super busy.  And since I'm not working for a
corpration (on my own and loving it) anymore I don't have
time to waste sitting reading thousands of emails from
mailing lists.  :)  Not to mention slow internet out in the
country sucks.  haha..

> dan <---- See!!!! it says dan......  (I still would
> rather work as Darl McBride's houseboy than to write
> RPG-CGI)

Well, better search monster.com for houseboy then to see
how it measures up to RPG.  ;)

Take care Dan..