> From: Bartell, Aaron L. (TC)
>
> Maybe it was a little tongue in cheek but nonetheless

Stop right there... it's the "nonetheless" that loses the whole issue.
Aaron, you get upset and you get snippy.  You threw out a barb, and when
I answered in kind, you got huffy.

You need to drop it a notch, and stop complaining about how I'm not the
world's most wonderful teacher.  I ain't here to solve the world's
problems, I'm just presenting my opinion, which happens to differ from
yours, at which point you take it personally.

All I did was disagree with your points, pretty much on a case by case
basis.  You are currently enamored with web services and .NET, and
that's all fine, but I contend that web services are just another tool,
not a universal panacaea.

Allow that difference to be a starting point for a conversation, and not
something for you to get your back up.  Explain why you think web
services is going to last longer than CORBA or APPC or any of the other
communications techniques that preceded it.  Explain why you think HTTP
and XML will be universally accepted, especially when I pointed out that
SOAP doesn't even require them anymore.

This isn't about Aaron, this is about the technology and the decisions.
Hey, I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again.  Not sure I've
told you this particular story, but back when CGA graphics first came
out - pingpong ball sized pixels in a whopping four colors - I figured
it would never catch on.

I did a little math, and figured a 640x480 screen would require over ONE
MILLION BITS to support any kind of color depth.  And back then, we were
squeezing entire operating systems into 16KB, so I came to the
reasonable conclusion that graphics were never going to fly.

Um.

Well.

I think history has proven me a bit wrong on that particular front
<grin>.  So, please, when I dropkick your idea that communications need
to be XML and HTTP in order to be loosely coupled, it's not because I
think Aaron Bartell is a bad person, or a stupid person.  I just don't
think that the technology yet agrees with that mandate.

And I've been wrong.  Time will tell.  But today, it's just a buzzword.

Sorry if I ticked you off.  As I said, you sometimes get a little
snippy, and I snapped back.

Joe