> From: Nathan M. Andelin
>
> It has much
> to do with how YOU choose to design your applications.

Once again, Nathan, you've hit the nail on the head.  I think it's a very
telling point that you and I, who have chosen to implement the user
interface in entirely different manners from a technical standpoint, have
such similar views on basic application architecture.  To me, that shows
that while UI interpretations may (and will) change over the years, basic
application architecture is a constant.

Personally, I think the next step in application design is the ability to
attach characteristics to database elements - a type of meta-data, if you
will.  This meta-data will allow middleware such as yours or mine to make
intelligent choices about data representation.  Combined with a handful of
runtime attributes (is this element input capable?  Promptable?  In error?
Focused?), this information would allow the UI middleware - be it JSP, RPG
CGI, Swing or VB - to properly format the data for display.

It wouldn't be a lot of work, really, but it would help if we had a group of
people willing to take the initiative and responsibility for setting up the
requirements of such a meta-database.  That way, users could start defining
this information now, and would be able to choose whichever UI middlework
best fit their needs.  As you point out, my stuff is best suited for people
that are happy with their applications today and simple need web access,
while your stuff is more directed towards new development.  But if you and I
both used a common meta-data representation, users could easily switch
between our two products as needed, without having to duplicate the effort
of defining their meta-database.

Joe