> As you know, I have the book, so I'm familiar with the revitalisation
> process.  The main reason we're staring at WebFacing right now is
because
> there's no change to the RPG programs or the DDS.  WebFacing creates a
new
> Java/jsp based set of UI panels and works with OS/400 to trick the RPG
> programs into thinking that they are still talking to a 5250 terminal.
In
> theory, that means that our customers can run green screen right next
to GUI
> all on the exact same codebase.  No multiple maintenance AND we get to
be
> able to continue working within the Synon/2E model.

I don't know if people have seen the results of Webfacing...
I was so happy to see IBM doing webfacing; it was a solution to a
problem in stead of a solution looking for a problem.

But, in my view, WebFacing Version 2 will hopefully be the product that
I was hoping for. I have no knowledge of a Version 2, nor do I know of
any plans for IBM to create a version 2 of this tool.  But due to a
number of technical challenges, I think the current version is a good
technology demonstration--only.

Problems with the current WebFacing tools are:
1) All apps use the Interactive processing of the system. That is, if
you have 1170 CPW for batch jobs, and a 30 CPW for interactive, the
webfaced apps run in the 30 CPW pool.  Contrast that with CGI/HTML based
apps, which run in batch.
This is really an IBM Rochester issue, not an IBM Canada design flaw.

2) HTML is really not well suited for subfiles. To watch the screen
blank, turn to white, and then repaint when you scroll a Webfaced
"subfile" is not something my end-users would expect. I'm sure with
custom controls, IBM could solve that issue, but the version I saw,
wasn't using customer controls.

There are a few other issues, but none are show-stoppers. These two
issues, however, are show stoppers in my view.

So for regular file maintenance apps with a single panel/screen without
subfile use, yes you can put a browser interface on your DDS source. And
that's a great accomplishment for anyone to have pulled off!!!  But I'm
going to be waiting for version 2 and continue to build my CGI/RPGIV
experience.

Bob Cozzi