From: web400-admin@midrange.com [mailto:web400-admin@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of Brad Stone
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 7:19 AM
To: web400@midrange.com
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Java App. Development - Is it Worth ?

Hi, Vijosh.

Trust me, I feel your pain.  Yes, when you want to do Java,
or any OO design, correctly, it takes time.  And because of
that, I bet at least 20% of the time is spent being
frustrated.  But, that's not always anyone's fault.

IMHO, Java is a GREAT tool.  Well, let me rephrase that.  OO
is a great tool.  :)  It, as with anything new, takes time
to learn.

The biggest problem is that it has been touted as a silver
bullet.  While this isn't entirely false, it's made too many
people frustrated with it.  Usually articles and documents
we see about Java are so far over our heads, we don't even
take the time to learn.  The media is too far ahead of the
bulk of those that want to learn Java.  This makes things
even more frustrating.  This makes the non-tech's in lead
positions want to use Java, then get frustrated when you
can't write an app in 2 days.

Now, I've found Java to be a great tool.  When done right,
and after all the base work is done creating classes, etc,
then writing applications, whether for the web, for windows,
or anything, are really quite simple.  What takes the time
is the initial development.

What must be weighed is the costs of using this method of
programming vs. another procedural based solution.  For
business solutions, I'm finding RPG still wins.

If you're working in a dept. with multiple systems where
they all have to interface, then Java is probably worth
looking into, as long as everyone agrees.  If you're mainly
iSeries, RPG is probably the best bet.  There are just too
many variables to be weighed when choosing a tool.

Just wait till they want you to use XML for anything related
to data.  :)  Storage included.

Brad
www.bvstools.com