> From: Brad Stone
>
> Joe's ideas about mixing RPG and Java are great, but I also
> think it's overkill for web apps.  (don't shoot, it's my
> opinion, ok?)  It also takes away from the "portability" of
> Java.  I know Joe preaches his methods and doesn't like SQL
> for data access in Java, but I've found SQL to be very nice
> for data access, and very portable.

I don't preach anything, Brad.  My opinion is that Java is best suited for
UI, and RPG for business logic.  I can back that up any number of ways.  I
recommend this model because I believe that the most important attribute for
UI code is portability, while for back-end business logic performance and
maintainability are key.  I also believe that integrated ISAM-type access
performs better and is more productive than SQL for transaction-oriented
business application requirements.  I can again back that statement up with
a number of examples - a bill of materials explosion or a promotions and
deals price lookup just to name two off the top of my head.

I don't know what you consider a "web app", but my clients consider it the
web-based access to their existing business logic, business logic they've
spent years or even decades in fine tuning to run their companies.  If what
you consider a web app is a sort of point-and-click DFU, then sure, SQL is
fine.  So is VB.  So is Logo, if you want your kids to do it.  But for an
industrial-strength business application, it's still Java front and RPG
back.  That's not overkill, that's simply good architecture.

But I've been saying this same thing since 1998 and writing the software to
prove it.  I don't worry about the latest buzzwords because I don't base my
opinions on what's easiest, but on what's been proven to me in a 20 year
career designing distributed systems for the IBM Midrange platform.  I don't
know what you were doing in 1980, but I was writing operating systems for
standalone devices that connected to the S/3x using bisync.  My career since
then (including International Harvester and System Software Associates) has
given me a solid understanding of not only systems architecture but also
business application design.  I wrote the first commercially available
client/server ERP application for the AS/400 (the BPCS Assistant products),
and I wrote the most successful Y2K remediation tool for the AS/400
(Nexgen's Focus/2000).

I now have a toolset that will be ready for general release in September
that automatically converts RPG programs to a UI-independent format every
bit as effectively as Focus/2000 fixed Y2K bugs.  At the same time, I've
developed the only pure HTML emulation of 5250 screens (no JavaScript).  And
all of this is in a tool that runs entirely on the AS/400 and requires no
Java skills and no HTML knowledge - you don't even need a PC (other than the
browser to test the finished product).  And if you're so inclined, you can
take the generated code and tinker with it to your heart's content.

Oh, and conversion of a typical program takes about 30 seconds.  Try that
with RPG CGI.

Nope, I'm not preaching, Brad.  I'm just delivering the goods.

Joe Pluta
www.plutabrothers.com