  • Subject: RE: IP Forwarding and Filtering
  • From: "Christopher A. Libby" <clibby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:29:45 -0400

Well, Evan, IMHO your AS/400 is better suited to being an AS/400 than a
router.  Honestly I am not sure what kind of threshold you would have to hit
before the CPU would start maxing out.  However, I do know there will be
more drain on your processor, decreased bandwidth, and other problems that a
seperate firewall could overcome quite easily.

Let me explain our setup -

We have a dedicated internet connection via wireless to our ISP.  This
connection come into the WAN port of our firewall.  Our 1 internet server
lives in the DMZ of the firewall, protected from transport layer attacks but
otherwise open to the free world.  The LAN is connected to the LAN port of
the firewall - invisible from the outside, but the LAN has any access to the
Internet granted by the administrators.  Also, our firewall has built-in
IPSec VPN software - allowing me remote access to the LAN from home or the
road.

When we investigated our best option for building security for our new
internet connection, we investigated a lot of solutions.  When it came to
the AS/400, it was just too complicated - between my time and my managers,
we would have spent more than the Sonicwall solution.

For me, administering the OS/400 solution would have consumed a lot of time.
Every new attack, exploit, etc. would need to be research and/or prevented.
With Sonicwall (as well as many other firewall devices), I simply plug it in
and update the firmware when it tells me to.  Setting up LAN->Internet
access rights was a simple IP-Based ruleset.  I can filter 'unacceptable'
usage using the built-in CyberNot filter.  Basically, it was an all in one
solution.

Okay, now that I've gotten off track, let me get back on.  From your
descriptions, it shoulds to me like the telco operates a firewall ahead of
your connection.  From the telco, you have a connection to your AS/400
directly?  Then from the AS/400, you have both a connection to the server
room and to the WAN?  Do you have any routers between the AS/400 and the
telco?  As far as the telco-run firewall, maybe I'm just anal-retentive but
I would put up the best damn firewall I could find to protect myself.  If
there was a security breach into your network, it's your companies
responsibility & liability, not the telco's.

-Chris

Christopher A. Libby, Programmer/Analyst
Maine Public Service Company (www.mainepublicservice.com)
clibby@mainepublicservice.com (207) 768-5811 ext. 2210

+---