  • Subject: RE: WebSphere Console and Speed issues?
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:43:09 -0500

Because if it goes down, and I want to get it up, I don't want to wait.  Or
if I'm maintaining it, applying fixes, etc, I want it done quickly.  I guess
Classic HTTP server spoiled me.

When I was toying with Websphere I was always
starting/stopping/creating/deleting things.  Not just the console, but
servers within the console.  This is needed when you're starting using any
new tool.  Especially if you want to set up the development in a manner that
will be benificial.  If you think Websphere is just "start and run" out of
the box, you haven't used it for much.

I was duplicating a real world app already running with eRPG and Classic
HTTP Server, not just trying out hello world servlets.  I spent more time
sitting at the console than I did programming.  I couldn't believe how
crappy it was.  Sure, after an operation was performed once, it was quicker
the next time, but c'mon, it still took 15 or more seconds.

Would you say it would be ok for your FTP/MAIL/HTTP servers to take this
long to start/stop/restart?  Probably not if you used them and depended on
them to be up and running now.

Again, we don't have to agree.  Your machine is built more for Websphere, my
720 is not.  I posted the exact numbers from my experiences on Ignites
forum, so they're there.  Some functions took over 5 minutes to complete.
That is just sucky.  I'd rather use Tomcat.  There's no need for Bloatware
like websphere.  At least not now.

What does anyone have to gain by saying it's NOT slow?  I don't get it.  It
seems like some are trying to defend it.  It's software, it's slow.  It
happens.  It will get better, hopefully.

Brad

+---