  • Subject: Re: WebSphere problems on AS/400 temporary storage increasing.
  • From: "Phil Groschwitz" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:01:52 -0500

As excited as I am at the prospect of developing servlets on Netshare400, I
wonder how that 170 could handle many people developing servlets.  You'd
need one of those million-dollar machines to handle it!

Probably best thing to do is use NT or Linux to develop servlets on, and
then deploy them to an as400.  But ---- once you've got them running on NT
or Linux ---- why move them at all.   Use a different server to serve the
servlets.  They can still get the data from the as/400.

I don't know if this is the master plan - but it's pretty clear to me that
java means the commoditization of servers.

Luckily Microsoft decided to take their marbles and go home; proprietary
computing lives on!

Phil