<Rant>

I hate to say it and I never thought I would see it, but the day is fast approaching. IBM is working IBM i out of relevance. The new RDi install has people so confused (myself included). I know the old IBM Installation Manager method was way too involved, but simply trying to find where to download the product took me a half a day. Then I still don't know if I really have the licensing stuff needed to go with it. You've got zip-files inside zip-files and more. Does any of this really make sense?

Don't get me wrong. I still believe IBM i is as powerful, capable, versatile, and reliable as ever--and that all grows more so all the time. But they've suppressed it in marketing for over 35 years. The presentation and accessibility of the platform is not improving--rather it's going downhill.

Then they do this webinar and lock it up so freaking tight. If I want to download, install, and learn VS Code, it's so simple and straight forward. (I won't go into my feelings on a lot of Microsoft's UIs. (Sometimes I feel like I'm using a Junior High students project. The application is selected, the cursor flashes in the right box, but type and the application closes/minimizes whatever.) There are a multitude of raining options for their products--all easily available and accessible.

I followed the link provided by Steve and I'm asked for my email address and password. I supply my email address and it doesn't work with my password or the one Steve provided. Good grief! I feel like Charlie Brown.

Thanks for putting up with my rant. I don't blame anyone for simply deleting or reading past it.

Maybe somebody at IBM needs to rethink the trouble they put us through to try to keep their product relevant at our place of employment. It can be hard enough without all this....

</Rant>

Michael Quigley
Computer Services
The Way international