Microsoft has more than 1,000 people working on the Visual Studio family of
products--it's a huge moneymaker and it shows how much Microsoft cares
about the developer experience. IBM remains a service and hardware
business while Microsoft is a software business.

IBM's planners think so little of developers they've partially farmed RDi
support out, albeit to people equally as passionate about the developer
experience. But you can't argue with the numbers: the handful of folks
working on RDi won't be able to deliver as much as the legions working on
Visual Studio. It would be nice to think IBM has some big double-secret
initiative going on but like the claims of fraud in the 2020 election, you
have to look at the evidence and not listen to the rumors.

I like the look of VS Code.

An RDi extension is going to come from a very small team of very sharp, *and
independent*, developers, not IBM, and if it's good I will pay for it. I'm
sure the use of .NET and SQL Server by the i community causes heartburn
within IBM; allowing Microsoft to get another toe in the door to
developers' hearts will further erode IBM's grip.

And what Jon said. While competition is good, I like having a lot of tools
in my bag. Even though I loved and hated CoDe, hated WDSCi, and eagerly
look forward to every new RDi release, I still use SEU daily because it
loads fast, I can do member management easily from the CLI, and I don't
have to worry about its SQL formatter going off the rails and killing my
formatted-for-readability non-SQL code (because there isn't one in SEU, of
course).

I'll tip my hat to the RDi team: it is getting better...but without RPG and
SQL enhancements, and maybe some surprises in other areas of interest to
every RPG applications developer, there's not a lot of running room on the
RDi playing field unless they announce a Siri interface.