I think the reason Microsoft development tools are so good it that they have thousands of programmers in-house developing Microsoft's own applications with them and, most likely, using the tools themselves to develop the tools. RDi is a niche product and I suspect the developers don't get that much opportunity to write real RPG or COBOL applications with their own tools.

In my opinion, IBM should drop the silly price tag, port RDi to a modern IDE like VS Code and open source it so that the developers that actually use the product in anger (literally in many cases 😊 ) can contribute to it. There are a couple of open source alternatives already but the number of people in our environment who have the skills and inclination to write them is small and to my mind it would make far more sense for those resources to be pooled with IBM's on a single open source project.

________________________________
From: WDSCI-L <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Ken Killian <kkillian@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 20 August 2018 15:31
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Enter splits lines (was: Officially the weirdest thing I've seen in RDi)

Oh well falling back to Reliable NotePad++, it has ZERO PROBLEMS with splitting lines. And actually lines it up on the next paragraph. Perfectly EVERY TIME. I admit, I expect too much for RDI. I need to have realistic expectations for RDI. Do not expect too much. Concur.

Gee, I didn't think splitting a line was rocket science, and requires to disable the parser to stop code from being erased.

I am require to set up test-cases using RPG-UNIT, and I have to cut & paste huge SQL-statements to set up test data for repeated test-cases.

So, my case usage is probably out of the ordinary. Plus, using NotePad++, I don't have to shift each line split to line up correctly either. Works 100% much better in NotePad++ anyway. I have a work-around for the limitations of RDI.

A quality software product speaks for itself, and the brand.

My co-workers laugh nervously, asking meekly, cannot IBM do line splitting? I have to reply, "NO, sadly, and for what ever reason, they cannot handle it on a consistent basis. No wonder Microsoft tool-set is far superior. And I have to use Alt+S to split sql statements, but I can use <Enter> to split "normal" lines.

As long as I work around for limitations of coding RDI, I am good to go!

Thanks for the insight. I have no doubt that RDI will eventual get better after 4-years of college.

-Ken Killian-