Unfortunately, it turns out to be more complicated (which is why I haven't been able to nail it down so far).  If I comment out a block of dcl-s definitions, then it works even with all the file definitions.  If I leave that block of definitions in place, then some combination of file definitions breaks it, but it's not clear which combination (I have five externally described files in addition to the WORKSTN file, and commenting most of them out makes the symptom go away).  Putting the block of dcl-s back in makes different combinations of files fail.

The crazy thing is that throughout every test the constant is visible in the outline.  The hover even works - I can position my cursor over a place where the constant is used, and it pops up the constant's definition.  So the parsing that finds all the fields is working.  It just looks like the context assist stops functioning; any definition from my program is not recognized. Basic RPG constructs are fine (BIFs and opcodes) but not my definitions.

Unfortunately, the only way to test each condition is to refresh the outline, and since that takes a minute or so, that means I'm limited to the number of tests I can do.  I've run 30 or so tests today and that's over two hours of my day gone.  I'm out of testing time, but I'll try some other things later perhaps.



On 5/5/2018 1:12 PM, Jon Paris wrote:
Be interesting to know if this was unique to (say) an IndDS situation Joe - or if it is simply any file. I guess you might be able to regain display field access by using an externally derived DS based on the display file formats.

Just out of interest, does it also apply if the file is declared as a template?

I can't really do any testing because my context assist has been flakey ever since V9.5!


Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com

On May 5, 2018, at 1:27 PM, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One of the most painful problems to me is when context assist stops working. I find it happens more often than not in SQLRPGLE members and I've tried to find the culprit. I just narrowed it down pretty significantly, although I still have some work to get a minimal case.

If, in my SQLRPGLE program, I have a workstation file declared as so:

dcl-f CEPANZD workstn indds(dsInds);

Then CTRL-space stops working. Since this is my standard workstation definition, this means that I effectively cannot use SQLRPGLE without giving up significant functionality. Now that I know the line of code that breaks it, I'm going to try to create a minimal case, but this is the root cause. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed the loss of context assist.

I can make context assist come back by commenting out just that declaration. Uncomment it, and context assist stops working again. So I have a rather half-baked work around, although even then I can't prompt for my display file fields.

This is really bad for me. It has actually caused me not to use SQLRPGLE in complex programs because I rely on the context assist.



--
This is the Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries (WDSCI-L) mailing list
To post a message email: WDSCI-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
visit: https://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/wdsci-l
or email: WDSCI-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
at https://archive.midrange.com/wdsci-l.



As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This thread ...

Replies:

Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2022 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].

Operating expenses for this site are earned using the Amazon Associate program and Google Adsense.