"WDSCI-L" <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 05/19/2016 09:50:10 AM:
----- Message from dlclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thu, 19 May 2016 09:
47:47 -0400 -----

Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client
for System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Re: [WDSCI-L] Multi-line comments (was: Any change to RDI settings
to edit **FREE totally free RPG?)

"WDSCI-L" <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 05/18/2016 09:24:00
PM:
Try inserting your first line comment so everyone knows what you've
done

and why you've done it. Then cursor to the first line, press Alt+L to
mark
the first line of the block, go to the last line and hit Alt+L (or
simply
cursor down with the shift key held), then press Ctrl+/ The block is
commented out--i.e., each line is marked as a comment. Oh, then you
need

to press Alt+U to unmark the block.

Yes, I'm passing familiar with all that and I don't like it. I'm

a bit particular at times and I make no excuses for it. I'm not
strictly
OCD (just a little CDO, if you catch my drift), but I do like things a
certain way. In this case, I don't like all the shifted lines. And,
then, what if you were temporarily commenting out those lines of code
and
needed to later uncomment them? Is that anticipated by RDi keystrokes,
too? No, I like my block comments in JavaScript, etc. We are supposed
be a color-coded, context-sensitive world. ;-)

In your Preferences, you can configure the block comment to 'Overwrite
blanks' or 'shift' so you don't have to change the indentation of your
code--provided you don't start your code in column 7 or earlier. You can
also choose to comment with either '//' or '*'.

Navigation to preferences:
Windows, Preferences, Remote Systems, Remote Systems LPEX Editor, ILE RPG

- Block comment behavior is toward the bottom.

Sincerely,

Dave Clark

Michael Quigley
Computer Services