Ken (and others),

Sorry to confuse the issue. I didn't mean to blame Windows for your
troubles--rather I was trying to point out an illustration that other PC
software can be flaky also. Windows does happen to be the brunt of my PC
frustration. I'm glad you've not had troubles with it. And from various
forums and support sites, I'm pretty certain my case is not that isolated
or rare.

You are correct. I cannot choose the operating system I use on my assigned
PC. It was mandated by others in IT. That's the only reason I have Windows
8.1. But even with it, I appreciate that there are some features where
it's an improvement over previous versions. (And many things that leave me
scratching my head.)

Now, on to the topic of this mailing list:

RDi is not perfect. I don't think anybody believes that. Sometimes I think
its troubles come from being so big that it almost crumbles under its own
weight. We want it to do so much for us--and it does. But then we want it
to do even more: demanding that it allows us to customize every aspect of
the system to our own personal tastes. Again, I don't mean to be
complaining. I love RDi and have very little trouble with it. Sure there
are some aspects that need work. But let's face it, the entire RDi team is
incredibly responsive and has done and does an impressive job with things.
I would almost rather find a different job than not use RDi to get my work
done. Fortunately, that's not a choice I have to consider.

Customization may be part of the key to narrowing down your problems. I
never have experienced a problem of keys not responding, but I use the
standard keys to control debugging. So maybe that's where IBM needs to
turn their attention--as far as fixing your issue. Of course, they have
other priorities so fixing one person's issues with customized keys to
control the debugger may not be something they'd fix right away. We've had
problems with things we've customized that don't work well and IBM hasn't
fixed those. So we've learned to either live with the problem or go back
to the default settings.

Is there a critical reason you need to use F10 for Step-over and F11 for
Step-into and not the defaults? Have you tried living with the default
keys and seeing if the debugger functions without the no response issue?
I'm sure you, like me, have reasons for your preference. There are some
things I really want to work in a different way. So I customize it and it
bothers me when my customizations don't work right.

Michael Quigley
Computer Services
The Way International
www.TheWay.org