Thank you for the clarification. I should have clicked the link at the
end of Buck's posting.

I ended up reading when I read "Pearl", because I immediately asked
myself weather it is possible to call Perl from RPG and get a result back.

If I had clicked the link I would have noticed the following sentence,
which looks promising, earlier:

"A PCRE port for z/OS, a mainframe operating system which uses EBCDIC as
its default character encoding, can be found here"

Thomas.