On 2/18/2015 5:46 PM, Dan wrote:
I'd like a simple offline editor I can use on a personal laptop (Win7) and
not spend RDi kind of bucks.

My work licence for RDi covers me as an individual person. My
conscience is clear that I install RDi at home and use the same licence.
That's because I'm not using RDi on my work computer at the same time
I'm using it at home.

Having said that, I have a soft spot for RPGNextGen. Mihael has been
quite responsive to requests from the community, but it's a very small
community indeed. He'd be more than happy to see that community grow by
one.

I almost hate to mention it, but the 7.0.0.8 version of WDSC is free of
charge. No, it won't syntax check to 7.1 but the compiler syntax checks
my source anyway. My work flow is Agile / TDD-ish. I write a test, run
the test, then write the code that would make the test pass. That means
frequent compile / test cycles. I'm probably the most simple minded
programmer on the list, so the IDE syntax checking doesn't really do
that much for me and my simple code.

Then there's the really retro option: Code/400 v6. This has 3
advantages over Eclipse / Java based anything:
1) Rexx macros
2) Windows file associations (I can double click in Windows Explorer and
fire up my editor)
3) Small memory / CPU footprint works on really old laptops

Disadvantages are numerous, including lackluster IBM i integration, time
travel class syntax checking and the need to run a communications daemon
on the PC.

You did ask for other options to consider. That's my story and I'm
sticking to it.