From: WDSCI-L [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Buck Calabro
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 9:55 AM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] RDi 9.1.1 Save icon Grey out...

On 29 December 2014 at 09:59, Ken Killian wrote:

But, as "usual", when I try to brag about this great I.D.E. to
"Newbie", they spot little things like this that add up FAST....

And I get the old reply: "I Guess it is NOT a stable release yet..."
<Big Frown>

The people who don't want to use RDi vastly outnumber us. Why? It's not because the Save icon is disabled Now this is just my opinion, but people who stick to SEU in 2014 are doing it because change makes them uncomfortable. I mean, really - an SEU user who has no icons to click is going to complain that they don't have enough clickable icons?
Yeah, not really.

Frankly, I gave up trying to sell RDi to this sort. No matter what I say there is another excuse why RDi isn't ready for prime time. This, despite the fact that *I* have been using it for decades. My boss doesn't care whether I click a floppy disk icon (what's a floppy? LOL) or use Ctrl-S. She doesn't care that I can edit the D-Specs at the same time I edit the mainline. She doesn't care whether I use the Outline View or a compiler listing. She DOES care that I get my work done faster and with fewer issues than my SEU-using colleagues.

The simple fact is that I get more done with RDi than I ever do with SEU, and the quality of that work is higher. I'm pretty sure the main reason is Ctrl-Z. Yeah, the lowly Undo. I can write a 'what-if'
procedure in a jiffy, run it and observe the results about as fast as my SEU friends can. When it turns out that I need something altogether different, I can Ctrl-Z back to the beginning and try again. My SEU colleagues either comment out blocks of code, make a copy (PGMNAME.03) of the source or some combination. The net result is that I have no fear of changing code and they do.

Changing code is my #1 job and with RDi, I'm not afraid to do it.
--buck

ps I think this greyed out icon issue is a focus issue. Try this: Put a bug in your code and compile it. Make another change to enable the icon. Right click the error in the Error View to see the second level text. The icon is disabled. You and I think this is wrong because we can see the source in the editor pane, we can see the 'changed'
asterisk but we can't save the changes. Press F12 to go to the editor pane. Is the icon enabled now?