On 10/20/2014 3:07 PM, RPGLIST wrote:
I started playing around with "totally free" and I was defining a
standalone variable like:

dcl-s xCmlCl# packed(9);

I also tried ...packed(9:0); which did not work either.

I'm starting at position 8.

Its generating an error and when I highlight it it says
"Unexpected Token"

I'm sure its something really stupid but even after reading Jon Paris'
article I still can't figure this out.

One thing that's pretty cool in RDi 9 is the D-spec wizard. Right click
on a blank line in the source, select New > D-Specification...
In the Name box, put xCmlCl#.
It's a standalone field (dcl-s) so that default is OK.
Where to insert? At the current cursor position.
You want free-form, so accept the default 'Generate free-form code'
selection.
Click Next.
You want a packed field, so select Packed Decimal for the Type.
Fill in 9 for the length.
Click Finish and the wizard will generate a working d-spec for you. One
which matches the one you pasted to the list.

The beauty of new things is that in the beginning, the mistakes are
simple ones. A missing semicolon - one character! - can cause chaos.
Equally beautiful is watching that chaos disappear when the semicolon is
returned.