On 4/1/2014 9:54 AM, Edmund Reinhardt wrote:

I am amazed at how unknown the RTC EE build facilities are. A lot of work
has gone into these over the past couple of releases,
But then again I see that IBM stealth marketing has hidden this quite well
as it is not obvious how to discover this on the web.

You nailed it in one. I normally feel a deep sympathy for the problems
marketing people face, but their verbiage
(https://jazz.net/products/clm/features/clm_collaboration) just beggars
belief.

'In-context collaboration with the CLM solution

Collaborate with your team members online, at any time, regardless of
geographic location. By conducting online reviews & approvals, or
capturing threaded discussions directly on an artifact, teams create a
collective understanding of what is most important to their
stakeholders. With link previews and feeds team members have information
at their fingertips and the power to stay on top of current events.

In-context collaboration improves product value by:

Making information immediately accessible to all team members in the
context of their work;
Empowering teams to collaborate on and review software development
artifacts so they can incorporate feedback early and often;
Providing single source of truth hosted in a shared repository so
that team members can collaborate effectively around the globe'

The Repository Of Truth. I do like that quite a lot. The rest... it's
Buzzword Bingo. The video is just as vaguely circular:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq6n3LISVck

'Maximises product value'
'collective intelligence'
'single source of truth'
'deliver value to the stakeholder'

What is 'in-context collaboration'?
'the ability to collaborate'
'in real time'
'on projects'
'in the context of work being done'
'making that collaboration as easy as doing your daily work'

Despite the date, I am not making this up.

The RTC EE build uses Ant under the covers and has a dependency discovery
mechanism and does intelligent delta builds. But I still think that RDi
can help more with building the PGM the first time. One of the many
things I would love to do. I imagine this provides serious friction to
adoption of ILE.

Those of us with... minimal tooling are forced to do one of two things:
1) Design minimalist ILE apps
2) Create shop standards that force developers to create complicated
designs with minimal tooling

I've voted with my feet for minimalist app design. One source member
becomes one module becomes one service program. Exports go into binder
language with the same name. Service programs go into one binding
directory named for the company. The binding directory goes into the
standard H spec. The only change in my development processes is
CRTRPGMOD + CRTPGM for the service program vs CRTBNDRPG for the
consuming program. But I very much understand people who want a bit
more from the IDE!

Also ARCAD has tooling in this space as well, so IBM RTC is not the only
game in town as well as others like Turnover, Softlanding.

I'd love to see a thriving market for midrange software.
--buck